Full Time (40 hours per week) Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply
At St. Mary’s, we believe that young people are able to have a personal relationship with Jesus and make a full response to Him as disciples. Our youth ministry programs are intended to help young people become full missionary disciples through youth-specific spiritual and human formation and activities. These programs will help our young people grow into spiritual adults and so our youth programming will be compatible with St. Mary’s overall pastoral plan, the Parish Game Plan, and our mission, vision and values.
The parish youth minister oversees all parish youth activities including sacramental preparation for youth ages 5 to 19. While the youth minister will need to directly conduct some youth programs, the focus will be on working with and through a gifted team of volunteers.
- Prayerfully and thoughtfully design and define youth programs that evangelize and disciple parish youth
- Plan, organize and oversee youth programs including budgets
- Directly conduct some youth programs while working through volunteers for others depending on pastoral priorities and volunteer availability
- Identify, recruit, train and coach youth program leaders
- Regularly report on ministry progress to pastors and Parish Pastoral Council
- Administer, monitor and ensure compliance with Safe Environment policies
- Prayerfully and thoughtfully strategize with the pastors and Parish Pastoral Council how youth programming best integrates with and supports St. Mary’s mission, vision and values and the Parish Game Plan
- The parish youth minister will report to the pastor (or delegate)
- The parish youth minister is an Ex-officio member of Parish Pastoral Council
- Youth ministry volunteers will report to the parish youth minister or delegate
- A keen understanding of the evangelistic and discipleship process and how it applies to the spiritual potential and growth of young people
- An understanding of key human formation elements in young people from childhood to adolescence
- An understanding of leadership and how to activate it in young people
- An ability to convey the kerygma through proclamation (teaching and preaching) and an openness to the use of the charisms.
Other Requirements and Qualifications
- Have a calling to youth ministry and youth evangelization and have a genuine love for young people
- Good understanding of Catholic church teaching and basic biblical principles.
- Be a role model to the youth and be an active member of the parish
- Be in full communion with the Catholic Church and have a mature spiritual life
- Possess related education/formation/training background
- Have an ability to work collaboratively as a member of the Parish Pastoral Council
- Be able to work evenings and weekends
- Possess an above average knowledge in the use of technology such as social media
- Be a strong and proficient communicator with suitable administrative skills and strong interpersonal skills
- This is a full time role (40 hours per week) requiring evening and weekend work